For those who are interested in removing pockets of fat that are resistant to eating a healthy diet and regular exercise, liposuction is a popular procedure that can be used to sculpt almost any part of the body by removing areas of unwanted fat. Our liposuction patients, who visit our Orange County offices in Irvine, Huntington Beach, and Corona, frequently hear about new, “advanced” techniques that reportedly improve upon traditional liposuction methods. As a board-certified plastic surgeon with many years of experience performing liposuction, Dr. Andrew Smith believes it’s important to distinguish between fact and media “hype” when it comes to determining whether a particular alternative is worth it to you. We provide our patients searching for liposuction alternatives with various options to help find a treatment that will help deliver optimal results.
If you would like to learn about your unique options for removing unwanted fat deposits with liposuction, request a FREE surgical consultation with Dr. Smith. You can also call any of our 3 plastic surgery offices at (949) 653-7000.
Overview of Alternatives
Liposuction alternatives, such as Smartlipo™, SlimLipo™, and VASER® Lipo, are performed as enhancements to traditional liposuction. Whether it’s through a laser or ultrasonic energy, these enhancements are designed to liquefy the fat before it’s removed. Marketing claims for alternatives like these say that they are gentler, more precise, and reduce recovery time over traditional methods. On the other hand, the alternatives are usually more expensive and can increase the likelihood of complications such as damage to surrounding skin, nerves, and tissue.
Nonsurgical Liposuction Alternatives
In addition to other types of liposuction, there are numerous noninvasive fat reduction treatments designed to tone the abdomen, flanks, and other areas where pockets of fat accumulate. Dr. Smith regularly evaluates the effectiveness of new technology to make sure the most advanced treatments with tangible benefits are available to our patients. Dr. Smith believes SculpSure® is an effective, efficient treatment that produces excellent results at a lower cost than other nonsurgical fat reduction procedures. Keep in mind that SculpSure cannot match the overall results of traditional liposuction, but it is an excellent option for certain patients.
The quality of your results and your health should be your highest priorities when it comes to undergoing liposuction – and the best way to ensure your safety and results is to choose your surgeon carefully. You can begin by reviewing the following considerations about your physician:
- Qualifications: A board-certified plastic surgeon offers years of focused education and surgical training, and can determine whether liposuction will give you the results you desire, instead of another cosmetic procedure such as a tummy tuck or an arm lift.
- Experience: The quality of your results depends more on a surgeon’s experience, judgment, and aesthetic eye than advancements in technology. Performing many liposuction procedures on a variety of body types helps your surgeon refine his or her technique and give you optimal results.
- Attention to safety: An ethical surgeon will limit the amount of fat removed and the number of areas treated at one time, and will only use an accredited surgical facility.
Why Dr. Smith Prefers Traditional Techniques
Although advertising can make many of the latest liposuction alternatives sound better than traditional techniques, Dr. Smith is not quite convinced. He prefers traditional liposuction for a variety of reasons, which include:
- Proven safety over decades – when performed by a qualified, experienced surgeon
- Effective for sculpting large areas like thighs and buttocks, as well as small areas like the chin and ankles
- Performed with local or general anesthesia
- Minimal pain, bruising, and swelling
During your consultation, Dr. Smith will explain the pros and cons of the liposuction alternatives you may have heard about to help you make an informed decision about the most suitable treatment for you. He regularly reviews new liposuction technology and, to date, has concluded that any improvement in results is not significant enough for his patients to justify the associated higher costs and risks.