Elective Implant Exchange Irvine
One of the more common reasons women visit Dr. Andrew Smith for secondary breast augmentation is to have their breast implants exchanged. Orange County women choose this surgery for aesthetic reasons and to correct complications. Through years of experience performing complicated breast reconstruction procedures, Dr. Smith has refined the techniques needed to create beautiful results even under challenging circumstances.
If you live in Riverside or Orange County and you need breast augmentation revision with new implants, request a FREE surgical consultation using his online form or call (949) 653-7000.
When you choose Dr. Smith, you’re choosing a breast specialist who
- Is the Chief of the Subsection of Plastic Surgery at Saddleback Memorial Medical Center
- Is one of the top surgeons in Orange County for complex breast revisions and reconstructions
- Has performed thousands of breast surgeries during his 15+ years of surgical experience
Why do women have their breast implants exchanged?
There are many reasons women visit Dr. Smith to have their breast implants exchanged, including one or a combination of the following:
- Replacing ruptured implants. The affected implant can be replaced or both implants can be exchanged for different implants.
- Upgrading implants. Today’s silicone implants are more durable and natural-feeling than those made in past years. Women with older implants may choose to upgrade to the newest options.
- Changing fill material. Most commonly saline implants are switched out for the newer silicone gel implants, but some women choose the reverse.
- Adjusting implant size. After their initial breast augmentation, some women want larger implants, while others decide to go smaller.
- Treating a complication. Often correcting a complication such as capsular contracture involves exchanging the implants.
- Improving breast appearance. Revision surgery can provide a more attractive breast appearance; implants are often exchanged as part of this process.
Before & After Photos
WARNING: This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.
See More Before & After Photos
I’ve had my implants longer than 10 years. Do they need to be exchanged?
While breast implants are not made to last a lifetime, today’s implants are made with coverings that are more elastic and durable than those made many years ago. If you are happy with your implants and not having any complications, there is no need to replace them.
What can I expect during implant exchange surgery and recovery?
If there are no complications to correct, Dr. Smith usually prefers to make the incision in the place where the scar from the original procedure is located. He will remove the implants and replace them with new ones. Expect recovery to be comparable to your original procedure, but it may be easier due to modern techniques and the fact that the implant pocket already exists.
If there is another reason for the implant exchange, such as addressing a complication or changing the implant location, the procedure will be more complex. Dr. Smith may need to re-create or reinforce the implant pocket, remove scar tissue, or address other complications. These procedures are more involved and more time consuming than primary procedures, and recovery is usually comparable to the initial surgery, if not a little longer.
Can I combine my implant exchange with other procedures?
Yes, Dr. Smith often combines breast augmentation revision with other procedures. For example, it’s very common for patients to exchange their implants and also get a breast lift to address any sagging. Also, a woman who first got breast implants before having children may decide after having kids to replace the older implants and get a tummy tuck during the same operation. This customizable combination procedure is known as a Mommy Makeover.
How do I know if a surgeon is qualified to perform a breast implant exchange?
It’s always important to choose an experienced plastic surgeon for any aesthetic procedure. But that is especially true for a revision procedure, even when it’s an elective implant exchange. These surgeries can sometimes include extra challenges, such as working around scar tissue, that require advanced training and experience. Start with finding a board-certified plastic surgeon, and then carefully examine his education, training, and experience performing revision breast surgery. Few surgeons in Orange County can match Dr. Smith’s qualifications when it comes to breast implant revision procedures.